• 5 tbsp vegetable or corn oil
• 4 tbsp minced garlic
• 2 in ginger, cut crosswise into ½ in slices
• 1 large onion, peeled and diced
• 1½ cups uncooked rice
• 10 cups (21/2 litres) water
• chicken, about 1 – 11/2 kg, cut into bit size pieces
• 1.5 tsp fish sauce (patis)
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
• ¼ cup finely chopped scallions (spring onions)
1. In a stockpot, heat 3 tbsp oil and sauté 2 tbsp of garlic, the ginger and the onion. The garlic is done when light brown and the onion when transparent.
2. Add rice and sauté for 5 minutes. Add water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add chicken, and continue cooking for another 30 minutes or until rice is done.
3. While waiting for the rice to cook, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet and fry the 2 remaining tablespoons of garlic until golden brown. Set aside.
4. When the rice is finally cooked, add fish sauce and continue cooking over low heat for another 3-5 minutes.
Serve in soup bowls. Sprinkle the fried garlic, pepper, and chopped scallions (spring onions) on top.