• ½ Whole fish head, cut into 4 pieces
• 10g Ginger, thinly shredded
• 3 Cloves garlic, thinly sliced
• 3 Onions thinly sliced
• 5 Tablespoons fish curry powder made into a paste with 1 /4 to 1 /2 cup water
• 300g Lady’s fingers
• 3 Tomatoes, quartered
• 6 Red chilli, slit into half lengthwise
• 6 Green chilli, slit into half lengthwise
• 2 to 3 Sprigs curry leaves
• ½ to 1 teaspoons salt
• 1 Tablespoonsugar
• 1 Tablespoontamarind mixed with 1/2 cup water
• 1 Cup coconut milk from a packet
• 5 TablespoonS sunflower/vegetable oil
Ingredients (fish curry powder):
• 250gm Coriander powder
• 60gm Cumin powder
• 150gm Chilli powder
• 30gm Turmeric powder
• 20gm Black pepper powder
• 10gm Fenugreek powder
1. Wash the fish and cut into 4 pieces.
2. Marinate the fish with a pitch of salt. Steam the fish head till just cooked. Keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or saucepan, add the curry seeds and ginger and stir fry over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes till the seeds pop.
4. Add the garlic and stir fry till fragrant. Then add the fish curry paste and stir fry till fragrant and cooked.
5. Add the onions and stir fry briefly for about 1 minute. Put in half of the coconut milk and bring to the boil before adding the remaining coconut milk and tamarind juice.
6. Add the lady’s fingers, tomatoes, red chilli, green chilli, curry leaves, salt and sugar.
7. When ready to serve, add the fish head and simmer gently for about 5 to 8 minutes till the fish is hot and well cooked. Add extra liquid if more gravy is required.