Ingredients for rice:
• 600g Rice, soaked overnight
• 450g Grated coconut / 5 cups of coconut milk
• Fragrant screwpine (pandan) leaves, tie into knot
1. Wash the rice and drain well.
2. Put rice, coconut milk, pandan leaf and salt. Bing to the boil until all liquid is absorbed.
3. Loosen rice grain and test to check when done..
4. Add a little water if the rice is not well-cooked.
5. Cover the pot tightly until rice is fluffy.
Ingredients for Sambal Ikan Bilis:
• 1 Cup dried Ikan Bilis (dried Anchovies) soaked over night
• 1 Cup of dried shrimps
• 1 Large red onion, sliced
• ½ Cup peanut or vegetable oil
• 3 Tsp tamarind pulp with ½ cup hot water to make tamarind paste
• 4 Tbsp or to taste, chili paste
• 6 Shallots
• 1 Tsp belacan, also spelt belachan or blacan [dried shrimp paste]
• 4 Cloves garlic
• 1 Large onion, sliced into rounds
1. Using a mortar & pestle or blender, grind chili paste, shallots, belacan, Ikan Billis, dried shrimps and garlic into a paste.
2. To a wok or saucepan, add peanut or vegetable oil, heat on high until oil temperature is 350F.
3. Cook the paste till golden brown.
4. Add red onions, tamarind paste, sugar, salt to taste.
5. Cook until gravy thickens and is a dark reddish brown.
6. Dish a serving portion of coconut rice onto a plate (or banana leaf!), a little of each garnishing and some sambal ikan bilis – served hot or at room temperature.