Makes 80 – they’re very more-ish and sweet!
Stuffing – Ingredients
- 500g lotus bulbs (steamed for 30 minutes and mashed)
- 750g sugar
- 750g peanut oil
Stuffing – Method
Melt the sugar and blend the ingredients into a putty-like consistency.
Pastry – Ingredients (you could use ready made croissant pastry if you wish as this is quite difficult)
- 500g white wheat flour
- 25g sugar
- 100g cooking oil (it should be pork oil but that’s up to you)
- 250g cold water
- 350g cold unsalted butter
Pastry – Method
- Carefully mix all the ingredients – except the butter – knead and roll out the pastry.
- Lay the cold butter in thin slices all over one side of the pastry and fold the other side over.
- Roll the pastry again, then fold and roll again 4 times so that the butter becomes layered through the thin pastry.
- Then chill the pastry in the refrigerator before the butter melts, take out and roll again. The more you fold and roll, the more lined with pastry and butter it becomes.
- beaten egg white
- peanut oil for deep frying
- thin ribbons of dried seaweed paper
- Cut the pastry into rhomboids 4 inches at one end, 5 inches down the sides and about 2 inches across the other end. Paint along the edges with beaten egg and place a small roll of the lotus paste in the middle.
- Carefully roll the pastry into a conical shape around the stuffing and seal gently at the ends, wrapping 3 fine strips of seaweed paper around the shape for decoration, affix with the egg white and slightly bend the cones.
- Once you have made several, heat the oil in a deep fryer or wok until very hot and carefully place the pastries into the oil. Fry for about 7 minutes or until golden.
- Remove, and drain the oil. Repeat the process with the remaining pastries.