Recipe from Bumbu Bali Restaurant & Cooking School
• 600g Skinned boneless snapper fillet*
• 1 cup Freshly grated coconut or ½ cup moistened desiccated coconut
• ½ cup Seafood Spice Paste (see below)
• 5 Fragrant lime leaves, chopped
• 1 pinch Black peppercorns, finely crushed
• 1 pinch salt
• 305 Bird’s eye chilies, very finely chopped
• 2 tsp Palm Sugar
• Lemon grass or satay skewers
1. Mince fish fillet very finely in a food processor or with a chopper. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
2. Mould a heaped tablespoon full of this mixtuyre around a wooded skewer or over trimmed stalks of lemon grass and grill over charcoal until golden brown.
*Note: this recipe will not work with frozen fish.
For Seafood Spice Paste
• 450g Large red chilies halved, seeded and sliced
• 50g Garlic, peeled and sliced
• 225g Shallots, peeled and sliced
• 175g Fresh tumeric, peeled and sliced
• 100g Ginger, peeled and sliced
• 125g Candlenuts
• 200g Medium sized tomato, halved and seeded
• 2 tbsp Coriander seeds crushed
• 2 tbsp Dried shrimp paste (terasi), roasted
• 150ml Coconut oil
• 2 ½ tbsp Tamarind pulp
• 250ml Water
• ¾ tbsp Salt
• 3 Salam leaves
• 2 stalks Lemon grass, bruised
1. Combine all ingredients except tamarind pulp, salam leaves and lemon grass, salk and water in a stone mortar or food processor and grind coarsely.
2. Place ground ingredients into a heavy saucepan, add remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat for approximately 60 minutes or until water is evaporated and marinade changes to golden colour.
3. Cool before using.