Merrilees Parker with her catch of the day
- 1 8oz filet of Mahi-Mahi, or any other firm white fish
- 8oz peeled plantain
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3oz chicken chicharones
- 2 oz olive oil
- 4 oz passion fruit juice
- 3 oz chardonnay, or dry white wine
- ¼ oz cilantro
- 6 oz cubed butter
- Adobo seasoning to taste (garlic, salt and pepper)
1. Season mahi-mahi with adobo, garlic and a little olive oil and set aside.
2. Cut plantain in small medallions and deep fry until fully cooked for about three minutes. Drain the excess oil and place on a mortar.
3. Combine garlic, chicken chicharones with the plantain on the mortar and mash them together until mixed.
4. Heat frying pan with oil and cook filet for four minutes on each side. Remove fish and let it rest on the plate.
5. Add wine and passion fruit juice to the frying pan and reduce for a few minutes. Add a few cubes of butter at a time to the pan until the sauce thickens.
6. Place mofongo in center of the plate with mahi-mahi on top and cover with the beurre blanc.
Recipe courtesy of chef Humberto Guardiola