Ingredients for the salad:
• mixed vegetables (cabbage, bean sprouts, cucumber, chayote, spinach, yardlong bean)
• deep fried bean curd (tofu)
• boiled eggs
• deep fried prawn crackers
• deep fried shallot
Ingredients for peanut sauce (4 servings):
• 300g peanuts
• 1 clove garlic
• 4 shallots
• 125g brown sugar
• fresh chilli
• tamarind juice
• coconut milk (optional)
Method for the peanut sauce:
1. Dry fry peanuts until golden brown, remove from the pan and leave to cool.
2. Grind peanuts to paste.
3. Add grounded fresh chilli, garlic, salt, brown sugar to peanut paste, grind to mix.
4. Put peanut paste in a pan, add some water and coconut milk (optional).
5. Bring to boil.
6. Simmer peanut sauce until it’s thick and season it with tamarind juice.
Method for the salad:
1. Slice hard boiled eggs.
2. Steam or boil the potatoes, then remove the skin.
3. Deep fry boiled potatoes until golden brown, then slice.
4. Shred or chop cabbage, spinach.
5. Put cabbage in boiling water until it’s cooked then strain.
6. Using the same method, cook the spinach and chayote.
7. Blanch bean sprouts for about 30 seconds, strain.
8. Slice cucumber.
9. Place the salad, sliced potatoes, fried tofu and eggs in a large palte either randomly or in layers.
10. Pour the peanut sauce over the salad.
11. Spread deep fried shallots on top and serve with prawn crackers.
Main image: Gado-Gado, Cyclone Bill, Flickr Creative Commons