• 8 Prawns
• 4 Lotus roots
• 4 Egg plant
• 100g all purpose flour
• 1 Egg
• Ice cubes
• 2 Tablespoon of sake
1. Wash and peel the prawns. Making small cuts on the belly side of the prawns to keep it straight then pat dry.
2. Crack the egg and add ice cubes, mix well and keep it as cold as possible (if it’s too warm the tempura will not be crispy).
3. Add 2 tablespoons of sake to egg to give the tempura a golden brown crust.
4. Sift the all purpose flour and mix it into the batter. Be careful not to over mix – just toss and mix approx. 5 times.
6. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan to 340 – 350 Farenheit.
7. Lightly dip the ingredients in the batter then fry immediatelyuntil brown (hint: it will take longer to fry vegetables than seafood).
8. Mix all the vegetables thoroughly into the batter and fry until golden brown.
9. For seafood, roll the prawns into the flour before dipping into the batter – this will help teh batter stick to them.
10. Drain tempura on a rack before serving.