- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup of fava beans, soaked and drained
- 1 cup of chick peas
- 1 cup of lentils (optional)
- 10 vine tomatoes, peeled seeded and grated or chopped finely.
- ½ pound of beef, preferably diced fillet
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 litre of water
- 1 cup of water flower mixture (1 tables spoon of plain flower dissolved in a cup of water)
- 1 teaspoon of ground Tumeric
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Handful of flat-leaf parsley
- Small handful of cilantro
- Small handful of lovage (optional)
- ½ cup of rice or crushed vermicelli
Chop the cilantro and flat-leaf parsley and grind in pestle and mortar and release the flavours.
Place the following into a deep saucepan and cover 1 litre of water; chickpeas, chopped onion, spices, meat. Bring to the boil and simmer until the chick-peas are tender.
Then add the crushed herbs, pulped tomatoes and half a cup of rice
After about 5 minutes add the water flour mixture, this helps the soup thicken and lighten in colour.
Finally add the fava beans. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
Serve with bread and sweet dates.