- Fresh Octopus
- black peppers
- olive oil
- 2 onions
- chwale (sea snails from the shore)
- coconut milk
- lime juice
- Boil the octopus for about 30 minutes in a heavy pot.
- Add in black peppers and tomatoes.
- Douse olive oil into a pan and add in a half kilo of chopped onion.
- Cook the chwale—sea snails from the shore
- separate the sea snails in fresh boiled coconut milk mixed with lime juice.
- Sprinkle on several tablespoons of turmeric onto the chopped, now caramelised onions.
- Cube the tomatoes and cook them with the spicy, sweated onion until they break down.
- Pour the coconut milk and chwale into the pan of caramelised onion and the masala sauce will be finished.
- Lastly, once the octopus is well-boiled for 30 minutes, pull the octopus from the pot and add your masala sauce!
The Chawle Sea Snail women in Zanzibar