Ovar is a small town in the centre/north of Portugal but this sponge cake is well known all over the country. It’s available year round but it’s used mostly in Easter. This version is slightly different in that once the sponge is ready, a gorgeous almond mousse is served on top!
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 100 gr sugar
- 50 gr flour
- Beat the two eggs with the sugar till very creamy.
- Slowly add in the 6 egg yolks that have been slightly beaten.
- Beat for 10-15 minutes.
- Slowly fold in the flour.
- Line the pan with wax paper, butter and flour, wax paper and place inside the pan.
- Pour cake batter in pan.
- Place in preheated oven 180C. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 200 gr almonds
- 100gr bolacha Maria biscuits
- 300 gr sugar
- 1.5 dl water
- 12 egg yolks
- Small glass of port
- Toast the almonds in a pan and then grind them.
- Put the water and the sugar in a saucepan and boil it for four minutes. Then add the ground almonds and take the pan away from the hob.
- Add the egg yolks, the port and put the pan back on the hob until it boils.
- Remove the pan from the hob again and add the biscuits – that have previously been grinded.
- Mix well and pour into a serving bowl.
- For decoration, add pieces of orange or berries.