4 kg of Fish: the soup should contain at least 4 kinds of the following:
1.5kg Rascasse (scorpion fish)
1kg Saint Pierre (John Dory)
6 slices of Fielas (conger eel)
6 slices of baudroie (monkfish)
3 Galinettes (gurnard)
1kg small rock fish for the stock
675g Tomatoes, cut into quarters
1 kg Potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 Onions, sliced
6 Garlic, crushed whole in peel
5 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Fennel bulb
1 tsp Saffron
Pastis, 2 glasses
1 Parsley bunch
5-10 g Salt
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until golden brown, add tomatoes and pastis.
- Clean the rockfish and cut it into small pieces.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mass obtains the consistency of dough.
- Cover with boiling water.
- Add fennel, garlic, parsley, pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients: first the potatoes then the fish according to size and thickness of flesh (scorpion fish, John Dory, conger eel, monkfish).
- Keep on the boil for approximately 20 minutes, 5 minutes before serving add the remaining fish (gurnard).
- Serve: Remove the fish, potatoes and serve separately on a platter. The soup should be served as a first course as well as with the platter of fish as a second course.
- Serve with Rouille.
Add saffron and pimiento to an aioli.