Southern China: Soft Shelled Turtle & Ginseng
This dish is good for cooling you down in summer – turtle clears and stimulates the brain, lungs and kidney and ginseng are good for the heart.
- 1 fresh soft shelled turtle (chopped)
- 10 shallots (roughly chopped)
- 100g ginseng (finely sliced)
- 50g ginger (finely sliced)
- 200g spring onions (chopped)
- 100g rice wine
- 2 tbsps of soy sauce
- salt and sugar to taste
1. Fry all the dry ingredients in hot peanut oil for 3 or 4 minutes in a casserole to seal in the flavour.
2. Add the sugar, salt, soy sauce and rice wine, stir and cover to steam for about 3 or 4 minutes until the turtle meat is tender.