Portugal Recipes – Migas Alentejo
The migas alentejo is one of the most popular dishes from the Alentejo region. Like açordas and other dishes of this region of Portugal, the basic ingredient is the bread, traditional product of Alentejo (formerly called “breadbasket” of Portugal , due to the production of grain). The meat used is normally pork , another product with great regional traditions.
- 600g home made bread
- Pepper sauce
- Olive oil
- Lamb chops or pork chops
- Put the bread in a bowl and add 3 cups of water.
- Leave to soak for an hour.
- Fry the lamb chops in olive oil and a bit of lard. Put the chops to one side and use the oil to cook the bread.
- Fry the garlic, the coriander, peppers, mushrooms and asparagus.
- Then when the garlic is golden, squeeze the bread to get rid of the remaining water and fry it in the pan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix it well and mash the bread completely and make a sort of a ball.Serve it on a dish with the lamb chops on top.
- You can decorate it with olives or pieces of orange.