• 300g fresh dark cherries or dried sour cherries
• 200ml water
• sugar to taste (approx. 2 tsp)
• juice of 1½ lemons
• 500g minced lamb
• 1 tsp salt
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• 3 tbsp butter
• 2 pitta bread, cut into triangles
• 2-3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
1. Wash the cherries, cut in half and remove stones. Add the cherries to the water with sugar and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and simmer over medium low heat for 1 hour, or until it has reduced.
2. Add salt and pepper to the lamb and form into small balls. Fry in butter over a low heat until brown. Add them to the cherry sauce.
To serve: Place the triangles of bread on a plate and cover with meatballs and cherry sauce. Garnish with pine nuts and serve immediately.