Southern China Recipe: Spiced Pork Belly
- 1.5 kg of diced belly pork
- dessert spoon five spice powder
- peanut oil
- 1 tbsp honey or 2 tsp sugar
- finely chopped ginger, garlic, & chillies
- 1 cup rice wine
- ½ cup soy sauce
1. Marinate the belly pork in the five spice powder for 30 minutes.
2. Fry the pork in peanut oil to seal and brown slightly, then set aside.
3. Add the honey (or sugar) with a little water to the pan and caramelise lightly.
4. Add the ginger, garlic and chillies, rice wine, soy sauce.
5. Return the pork to the pan an stir, cover with 1 inch of water and braise for 90 minutes.
Serve with rice, stir fried pumpkin with green onions and sesame oil and stir fried pea shoots with garlic.