Persillade of Wild Mushrooms with Walnut Oil
Walnuts trees flourish beside the wild mushrooms in the woods of Burgundy.
- 1 lb mixed wild mushrooms, or a mixture of wild and button mushrooms
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 375F/190C. Pick over mushrooms to discard leaves and twigs. Trim mushroom stems and brush them to remove grit. If very dirty, wash them by tossing in a large bowl of cold water, then lifting them out with your hands so grit falls to bottom of the bowl. Do not leave them to soak and absorb water. Drain them in a colander.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots and garlic and push to one side of the chopping board. Chop the parsley, draw in shallots and garlic, and chop them briefly together. Stir them in a bowl with walnut oil. Cut any large mushrooms in 2-3 pieces and stir them all into the walnut mixture with salt and pepper.
- Spread mushrooms in a baking dish, cover loosely with foil and bake in oven 20-25 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Remove foil, stir, and continue cooking mushrooms until tender and any liquid has evaporated, 10-15 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately
Recipe from Anne Willan