Ingredients: Serves 4
• 1- 1.5kg Rabbit meat (1 rabbit should be sufficient)
• 500g Small white onions
• 1 Tablespoons tomato purée
• 1 Beef tomato
• 2 – 3 Cloves of garlic
• 3 – 4 Cloves
• 5 – 6 Laurel or bay leaves
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 – 2 Cinnamon sticks
• 200ml Olive oil
• Half a pint of local red wine
• Casserole with lid
1. Wash the rabbit and let it drain for 10 minutes.
2. Put the rabbit in the casserole along with a good pinch of salt and place over a medium heat, allowing any water to evaporate.
3. Add the olive oil and continue stirring the meat for 5 minutes, until the meat is browned.
4. Add the onions, allow these to soften and brown for 5 mins.
5. Add the wine, along with the tomato purée and grated tomato (skin removed), cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
6. Turn the heat down to a simmer, place the lid on the casserole and continue to cook for 40 – 60 minutes. Check intermittently that the sauce is liquid enough and add water if necessary.
Serve with crusty bread and a green salad
Main image: Rabbit Stew, Stu_Spivak, Flickr Creative Commons