- 2 lb fish (either Grouper, John Dory, or any other fish of your choice)*
- 100g fresh ginger root, julienned into very fine matchsticks
- 5 spring onions – using the lower half only split lengthwise and cut into 2 inch strands
- 1 tbsp of peanut oil
- 2 tbsps of soy sauce
- 1 cup of fermented yellow beans (from your local Chinese supermarket)
- * Get your fishmonger to clean the fish, removing the guts, the gills and scales.
- Score the fish 3 times – deeper if you are using a large fish, don’t bother if you are using a small one.
- Pour half the soy sauce in the cavity.
- Drizzle the peanut oil over the outside of the whole fish.
- Lay the fish on a steaming plate – any fish sized plate will do.
- Sprinkle over the length of the fish, in turn – ginger, spring onions, yellow beans, remainder of the soy sauce.
- Place the fish on the plate in a steamer 8 to 10 minutes or until done.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and some stir fried mustard greens.